How Does Blockchain Compare to Other Innovations

How Does Blockchain Compare to Other Innovations?

Probably, the most innovative discoveries of the past 100 years are the world wide web (i.e., internet) and the mobile phone. By now, both these things have become a must-have of modern human beings. Let’s look at the stats. In 1995, only 17% of USA residents were using mobile phones. By 2018, only 5% of US residents still did not have this device in use. While in 1995, only 16 million people (0,4% of the world’s population) were internet users, by 2018, this number increased to 4.2 billion, which is more than half of all people. Interestingly, during the first 5 years of the internet’s existence, only 5% of all people have found it worthy enough to use.

These numbers indicate how we interact with new technologies. As a general rule, most people are skeptical of discoveries and innovations at the early stages of their existence. Still, when the benefits of using a certain technology become obvious, it spreads all over the world with the speed of light.

Typically, it takes about 10 years before the average consumer makes an effort to research a new product or service. By this time, approximately 10% to 20% of the overall population had adopted the innovation. The remaining 80% to 90% of the population is still on the sidelines, unwilling to implement this new technology into their daily lives. Within 20 years of the new product’s existence, the majority of the population finally adopted it. Without question, consumers are very slow to implement new technologies.

Suggested Read: Blockchain and the Banking Industry – Cryptobite

Adoption of Blockchain Technology

But should we wait another 20 years to see the adoption of blockchain technology? Most likely, it will occur much faster than the internet, mobile phones, automobiles, or air travel. Why? Because once the blockchain infrastructure is in place, the old ledger system becomes useless. Therefore, soon, consumers will not have to choose between the new digital ledger and the old manual ledger. Companies that won’t migrate to the blockchain will be left behind and eventually forced out of business.

Within the next decade, blockchain technology will permeate our daily lives. For example, everyday things like voting, purchasing a vehicle or a home, visiting a medical care provider, investing in the stock market, obtaining a bank loan, going to college, or shopping at a retail establishment, will encounter blockchain technology.

Most probably, within the next five to 10 years, we will encounter blockchain technology daily. This explains why it will be exponentially larger than the internet.

Brief Summary of Blockchain In Comparison to Other Innovations

  • As a general rule, people are skeptical of discoveries and innovations.
  • It takes approximately 10 years for the average consumer to become a regular user of innovations.
  • Full adoption of a new product or service takes 20 to 30 years.
  • The adoption rate of blockchain will occur much faster.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.